Saturday, December 5, 2009

Musical influence?

what influence does different type of music do to people?



[i.e. rock, classical, R%26amp;B...]



Musical influence?theater



Congratulations to Star for helping to perpetuate the nonsensical generalisations and stereotypes sometimes associated with different types of music! A great mind at work!



What kind of music we listen to often comes from our background and is heavily influenced by what we were exposed to as a child. Many people go through life oblivious of or prejudiced against certain types of music they think they wouldn't like or which they consider 'uncool' (whatever THAT is!).



What about me, Star? I've worked in the classical music profession for nearly 30 years and, of course, I love classical music. But wait! I also love jazz. I adore 1970s rock, I even like decent pop songs. What pigeon-hole do I fit into now? I am lucky that I heard all sorts of music around me when I was young. I also had (and still have) an insatiable hunger for hearing and learning new things. Discovering music new to me is one of the great joys of my life.



Sadly, many people are lazy and just listen to the same stuff over and over again (like people who listen to Moonlight Sonata, Pachelbel Canon, F眉r Elise and Orff's O Fortuna ad infinitum and think theyn 'listen' to classical music). Others are weak and influenced by 'fashion' (again, whatever THAT is) or 'trends' or by what they are told by un-named, faceless people is 'cool' or 'uncool' and just follow the pack, never really bothering to decide for themselves what they REALLY like.



Many truly great musicians of all musical styles listen to, enjoy and are influenced by music outside the field with which they are usually associated. Many rock musicians listen to jazz and classical. Many classical musicians adore the freedom of jazz.



Writing this, I have to concede that some of the essence of what Star says is true in some circles. How I wish it were not so. You don't have to be 'sophisticated' to listen to classical music (and I mean beyond the handful of pieces they listen to over and over again). Much classical music (and other genres, of course) can be enjoyed at face value (and, after all, is what the composer originally wanted/intended). While it is true that some musical knowledge can enhance one's listening pleasure in some circumstances, it isn't vital.



I always urge people to keep their minds and ears open, to explore whenever possible and to indulge in that vast universe of music we are so fortunate to be able to hear.



Musical influence?london theatre opera theater



wow that is extremely narrow minded....



I am from Florida and we have great classical music talent down here. Florida State University has the Number 1 Music Education Program in the Nation. On top of that I play in orchestra but I also listen to rock and rap and other types of music and that does not make me a wild fool or a good dancer or whatever you foolish comments were.



People can listen to more than one type of music and I for one strongly encourage it. Different types of music evokes different reactions in all people but you cannot stereotype the way the person above me has.



Basically, it is true that different musical styles are favored by different people, and they influence them in different ways, but each person is different from the next and the stereotypical views of this other person are flawed and naive.
Well, people who listen to classical are generally smart and sophisticated. People who listen to rock are usually more wild and are sometimes punk or gothic/emo. People who listen to country are mostly from the south. People who listen to R%26amp;B are the people who like music you can dance to. I might be totally wrong, and there are always exceptions, but....this is just my opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
hp