Thursday, December 10, 2009

Any thoughts on how to prepare an audition song without a rehearsal pianist/lessons?

I will be attending a university with a good but underpublicised theatre department as an acting/advertising major in the fall, and while I know I could get good roles in the straight plays, I would like to try to be involved in the musicals, too.



While I took lessons for several months during my Sophomore year of high school, my voice teacher refused to explore my full range, and I am now stuck with two unimpressive songs for a young soprano. While I can technically still use them, my voice would be better showcased by a higher alto piece, especially as almost NO musicals have parts that are purely high sopranos. I can think of a handful of songs that would be perfect, but I can't read music well, and don't have a pianist to rehearse with.



(I can peck out a song on my keyboard, but that's it.)



Any thoughts on how to best learn and prepare audition songs to be performed with a piano accompanist?



Any thoughts on how to prepare audition songs?



Any thoughts on how to prepare an audition song without a rehearsal pianist/lessons?ballet



This is a good question for me because I'm in the same boat kinda. The only instrument I play is my voice so I do my rehearsing a capella unless I can find a recording of the song. My music reading skills are limited too. GOOD LUCK!



Any thoughts on how to prepare an audition song without a rehearsal pianist/lessons?globe theater opera theater



I think that you should do the songs that you think that you will be able to sing best. Get them on CD/iTunes and listen to them. Learn by ear.



Also make sure in college that you take some sort of Music Theory course or sight reading for singers or something.



Have fun.
You can't. Sorry, but you can't ... not and expect to do well at the audition. You need to rehearse your piece with an accompanist or vocal coach before going into the audition. Thank goodness we've not descended to the level of using accompaniment / karaoke tapes becasue you will have to sing with a piano or combo when you ultimately perform the show. Invest in enough money for an hour's worth of singing and suggestions from someone in your area who either accompanies musicals or church choirs. Maybe $50.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
hp