Saturday, December 5, 2009

Musical artists with killer debut singles but whose later stuff just didn't deliver?

I just heard "Sixth Avenue Heartache" by the Wallflowers and I remembered how *really* *really* fine that song was when it came out 11 or so years ago. Then I thought about how nothing else on that album, or from the Wallflowers since then, was nearly as interesting.



Cracker was the same, with their song "Low" around 1993... and then, just nothing noteworthy.



I'm talking about bands that had continuing, viable careers, whose stuff you'd hear but that stuff just never lived up to that first great single... I'm talking about bands that drew you in, that you thought you had found, that you were really pulling for, but then just proved disappointing.



I'm NOT talking about one-hit wonders or those who simply never made it that big. ***Please consider your answers accordingly***



Who are the singers and bands that YOU think of this way? Name the artist(s) and killer debut single(s).



Musical artists with killer debut singles but whose later stuff just didn't deliver?pacific theater



3 Doors Down. Talk about a disappointment. They used to be fun. Now they just whine to their girlfriends.



Musical artists with killer debut singles but whose later stuff just didn't deliver?phantom of the opera opera theater



Let's see...first of all, "Low" was just okay...Cracker had better stuff before that - like "Teen Angst" ..and "Get Off This" was much better than "Low"...



Here's the deal: Up and coming artists/bands spend YEARS writing, playing, getting things right...when they are "discovered" they go into a studio and make a record...they have YEARS worth of material to pick their best from...



Then, when it comes time to follow that up, they are under pressure to deliver something great, but only have so much time to do it. Most are not consistently talented enough to keep up the quota.



An example I can think of: Third Eye Blind. They had a great first album...the radio singles were very good, and most of the rest of the record was as good, if not better - stuff like "Narcolepsy", "Motorcycle Driveby", "Thanks Alot"...



EDIT: Hmmm..."Get Off.." was awesome...but I see what you're saying about "Low" being kind of a signature song...



And what is Prof Anger on? Weezer has been going strong lately, they have had strong material for over ten years...their last album was very impressive, if you ask me (and many others)...
when i first heard "a girl like you" by edwyn collins, i wa convinced i was going to enjoy his music a lot ... but although he went on for years, he never even got close to this song ... to bad ...
I don't really have a band to answer your question but I do have a theory as to why this happens. A bands first album is pure and raw. It is untouched by the industry. That first album is also coming from a much different place than anything that follows. Most music tends to come from unhappiness, it's a way to relieve the stress of life. If you're rich, some of those stresses tend to disappear. I also believe that once a bands first album hits and is popular they recieve a great deal of pressure from the label to produce a follow up. Which is why a second album is usually a letdown. It's rushed and includes a lot of filler, hence the 18 song album with only 2 worth listening to. If they are lucky enough to have that second album sell well then they will likely be given some artistic freedom from the label and allowed to do what is necessary to make a decent album. I believe that studios tend to rush and water down good bands so that they will have more mass appeal. This upsets the purists though because they see this as "selling out". Sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't.



I just thought of a band that debuted great and was never really the same- Metallica. Kill "Em All and Ride the Lightning were insane and while their other albums are very good, I don't think they're as good.



Also System of a Down. Toxicity (their first "big" one) was great but steal this album sucked... alot.
I liked the early Counting Crows stuff like Mr. Jones and Round Here, but their later stuff didn't interest me.



There was a song out by Candlebox called Far Behind that did well, but nothing after that.



A Band called Greenwheel had an amazing debut album and i haven't heard of anything from them since.
Yellowcard w/ Ocean Avenue. i remember hearing that song on the radio and being wowed by it. a lot of their subsequent singles have been good, but none of their albums live up to their singles.
Weezer is the best example that comes to mind. Their first two records were really, really great. My God it went downhill after that.



I know I may get crucified for this but I just can't take the Beastie Boys pist Paul's Beautique.



I assume your name is a Silver Jews reference, Nice! Great, definately underknown band. I finally saw them live about 6 months to a year ago. They were great. I wish they hit L.A. more than once a decade.



*********************



My bad, I was approaching the question incorrectly. I'm drawing a blank as to what you're really asking. I'll get back to it when I think of a good answer if it's still available for me to do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
hp